Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Few Lasts

I have had LOTS of "firsts" the past few months... I am good with those.
I love the first things: days of schools, kisses, pictures, pregnancy... It is the LASTS that get me, and the good byes that have to follow.

Jonathan lead HIP last night at Southern Hills for the final time. Jonathan puts it SO well that it is bitter sweet... we ARE excited about what God has in store for our future, but to leave a church family that has loved, protected, and nurtured us is unbelievably heartbreaking.

The men, women and children of Southern Hills have taught us about service, about honesty, about laughter, and about faith... LOTS about faith...
The worship committee that hired Jonathan had NEVER heard him lead a song, that I know of. WE had been to Southern Hills ONE TIME before embarking on this 2 year adventure with this family of God. AND...Jonathan interviewed for the position of worship leader with a concussion he received from a football tournament the weekend before. It is a miracle that we EVER really became part of the Southern Hills family, but I am SO grateful that we did.

I could name 100 families with 1000 stories of God's faithfulness in their lives...
the Ostleins, the Jones, the Marcelains, and SO many others.

BUT, one of may favorites, is Don Hertenberger (I don't even know how to spell that last name. He joins the college crowd at HIP though he may be a "few" years ahead of them. Mr. Hertenberger is a great example of faith: a dad, a grandpa, and a great grandpa. I love his love for the Lord and His church. He had requested a song that Jonathan lead last night called "You Raise Me Up."

This song speaks of God's faithfulness to help us "become more than [we] could be..." For me it is a reminder of how God has used this church family to "raise us up". Those of you who have been our mentors, our prayer warriors, our friends, our examples, and our teachers. We are FOREVER grateful for this family, and confident that God will cross our paths with those who we have love again and again over the next months and years.

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

And your Southern Hills family is so grateful for the two years you spent with us, reminding us of the blessing it is to praise God, and the joy that comes from knowing Him.

I vividly remember Jonathan's interview -- and knowing that he was REAL. I also remember Jonathan being offered the job -- and saying he wanted to pray about it before he took it. Made us CRAZY, but also let us know he would be a perfect fit. Little did we know he came with such a precious cheerleader in you!

We can't wait to see what all God will do in your life!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though these next few days and weeks may be tough, I'm glad that I am going through them with you as my wife. I love you so much.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Anne said...

We are definitely going to miss you both so very much! But I am confident God has great plans for you, Jonathan, and that precious baby boy. Know you are in my prayers, as change is both exciting and challenging all at the same time.

And please tell Jonathan I am so very sorry I had to walk out Wednesday night. I wanted so badly to finish HIP, especially knowing it was Jonathan's last one, but my choice was either to walk out, or pass out. I decided a pregnant woman passing out on stage was just not a good idea.

Praying for your family!

God Bless You!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Liz Moore said...

I first met Jonathan when he was in either 5th or 6th grade! WOW!!! I have watched him grow and mature and come to Love the Lord in such an amazing way. I always knew that God would do great things through him. God has now blessed him with you. And you are such a perfect fit for him. Now he is blessing you both with a child. I know He will continue to do amazing things through each of you as you move forward on your journey with Christ and each other. Jonathan has always had a special place in my heart. And now, you do too! I can't wait to meet your little one when he arrives.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Bev Ross said...

I couldn't be prouder of Jonathan's choice in a bride! It again reminds me that God blesses more than we can ever ask or imagine. I delight in calling you one of 'my girls'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home